History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
In the following year, 1764,  the Proprietors laid out a road from the line of Canterbury to the grist mill. The settlement was increased by a number of families, among who were Samuel Ladd, Philip Payne, and Richard Sinkler, together with three families, who moved in during the month of November,  viz.: Capt. Summersbee Gilman on the 10th, Capt. John Moody on the 15th, and John Sanborn on the 22d of the month.

Mr. Sanborn was moved by  Lieut. Peter Folsom of New Market, and settled on lot No. 16, first range of 40 acres, where Col. David M. Clough now lives. Capt. Moody settled on No. 5, of the upper 100 acres, in the first parish. At that time he had no neighbors within four miles on the South, and same on the North nearer than Canada line. Capt. Gilman settled on No.33, first range of 40 acres, afterwards Judge Cogwell's place. His team was the first that had passed with wheels over the new road from the town line to the grist mill, and, descending what is called Garrett Hill, the cart was upset, and all the crockery which they had brought from Exeter, was broken. Capt. Gilman had previously raised a house, when, there not being men enough, the women stood at the foot of the posts, to guide them to their places in the sill.