History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
It appears from the town Records, that on the 31st day of July, 1766, the first town meeting was notified by Joseph Badger, Esq., his Majesty's Justice of the Peace; the same having been petitioned for, by ten or more of his Majesty's subjects. The petitioners for this meeting, then inhabitants of the town, were the following, viz. William Parsons, Jeremiah Conner, John Sanborn, Samuel Gilman, Jeremiah Richardson, Samuel Parsons, Richard Sinkler, Thomas Taylor, Summersbee Gilman, Jude Bean, Samuel Ladd, Stephen Dudley, and Lemuel Rand. The meeting was held at the dwelling house of Samuel Gilman, who lived on lot No. 8, third range of 100 acres, now owned by Capt. Jonathan Brown, and which has for several years, been occupied for a training field. At this meeting, Summersbee Gilman was chosen Moderator, Joseph Badger, Town Clerk, and Joseph Badger, John Sanborn and Stephen Dudley, Selectmen.

A second town meeting was held on the 15th of September, at the same place, at which 18 shillings lawful money, on each poll, was raised to be expended upon the roads, and each day's work was fixed at 3s.