History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
In 1772, the annual town meeting was on the 12th of March at the house of Stephen Dudley. The article respecting the employing of a minister was again dismissed, it being understood that the Proprietors were to hire preaching for the first ten years.

Israel Farrar moved into town in March, also Edward Smith, John Marsh, Joseph Avery, Isaac Bachelder, James Folsom, Philip Paine, Lowel Sanborn, Benjamin Weeks and Elisha Weed, became inhabitants this year. The Proprietors at their meeting on the 17th of June, appointed Joseph Badger and Ebenezer Smith, Esqrs. and Antipas Gilman, their agents to prosecute in law the bonds of those settlers, who did not fulfill their engagement to settle. The town had now been settled 10 years, and from this time immigration became very rapid and continued to increase until the commencement of the Revolutionary War.

The Proprietors voted to give Samuel Norris 30 acres of lot No. 3, fifth range, of 100 acres Upper Parish, as compensation for his share drawn, most of which was found to be in a pond. Voted to Joseph Badger the remainder of the same lot No. 3, as compensation for collecting the Province Road tax.