In March, 1773, Lieut. Peter Folsom moved into town, and Simeon Copp came April 14. The following settlers also came in the course of the year, viz. Rev. Isaac Smith, Col. Samuel Greely, Lieut. Ebenezer Eastman, Peter Folsom, Noah Dow, Charles Currier, George Weymouth, Jasper Elkins, Joshua Gilman with his sons, Peter, Joshua, Jr., Samuel and Nicholas Gilman; Joseph Huckins, George Dennett, Jotham Gilman, Mathias, John and Samuel Weeks, Samuel Hatch, Thomas Mudgett, Joseph Bryant, William Sibley, the first merchant, Isaiah and Daniel Clough, and Col. Robert Moulton. Also, Samuel and John Dudley now commenced operations for themselves.
At the annual town meeting, on the 11th of March, the town voted to give the range way to those whose land is crossed by the Province Road; also voted the same satisfaction for the Peaked Hill Road.
On the 22nd of May, Mr. Nicholas Gilman died of consumption, leaving a family consisting of a wife and 7 children. Mr. Gilman was the first adult male, who died in the town; and his grave is yet to be seen on land owned by the late John Shepard, Esq.
In November of this year, a Baptist Church was gathered, which was afterwards greatly strengthened by the labors of Dr. Samuel Shepard of Brentwood, a physician and preacher, who occasionally visited the town; and some time in autumn of the same year, Rev. Isaac Smith first preached to the Congregational people of the town.