History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
The year 1774 was one of great importance in the History of the town. Two meeting houses were erected; one by the town for use of the Congregationalists, and one by individuals for the accommodation of the Baptists. A Congregational Church was organized, and a minister, the Rev. Isaac Smith, was ordained over it. At the annual meeting on the 10th of March, besides the usual town business, voted to build a school house at Peaked Hill. And at a meeting on the 18th of April, Benjamin Weeks, Samuel Dudley, David Edgerly, Samuel Hatch, Thomas Mudgett, Orlando Weed, Joseph Bryant, Jeremiah Conner, John Allen, Reuben Allen and John Weeks were set off for a separate School District, to be called No. 2, and to be taught at Orlando Weed's, on the Broad Road, so called. Voted to lay out a road from Meredith Bridge to Sanbornton. Ezekiel Hoit, John Shepard, Samuel Osgood, Jacob Tucker, Jonathan Dow, Benjamin Huckins, Solomon Kenneson, and Enoch Bean became inhabitants.