History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
The town held its annual meeting in 1788, on the 13th of March, when it was voted that the Ministers preach in the upper Parish as last year;  that each man work two days upon the road in the summer, and one in the winter; that ten dollars bounty be given for full grown wolves, five dollars for whelps heads, and L9 per head for catamounts, if killed within two months, and L6 if killed after that time. Col. Joseph Badger, Jr., Col. Joseph Greely, and John Shepard, Esq., were appointed to ascertain the line on the North East side of the School lot, and to lay out the broad high way near the Meeting House into house lots, with a view to build up a village. On the 27th of March, the Committee on House Lots reported,  "that they had laid out the broad high way between the school lot and Lieut. Daniel Gales' lot, 60 rods in length, 4 1/2 rods at the North West end, and 15 rods at the South West end; laid out 11 house lots and numbered them." The Report was accepted, and the Selectmen were empowered and authorized to sell and convey these lots to purchasers who might wish to obtain them at a reasonable price. The town granted the petition of School Districts No. 1 and 2, to be permitted to divide into a third. Matthias Weeks was paid for killing four wolves, L12, and John Weeks for killing two wolves, L6. On the 29th of November, the freemen of the town for the first time carried their votes for Representatives to Congress, and for Electors of President and Vice-President of the United States. The vote stood thus: for Representative, Thomas Cogswell, Esq., 59: for elector, Hon. Joseph Badger, 72. Permission was given to Simeon Hoit and Ebenezer Smith to erect a mill or mills on Gunstock Brook, lot No. 10, 13th range, (now Gilford Village,) for the space of 15 years, and to clear on each side the Brook two acres for the benefit of the mill yard, providing, however, that they give bonds not to cut timber or wood from the adjacent lots; and if the people of that part of the town wish to build a meeting house within 15 years, that they have leave to saw free of expense; and when the time has expired the mill may be removed, if the town does not purchase. Col. Antipas Gilman, Col. Joseph Badger Jr., and Capt. Joseph Young were authorized to lease the same to the said Hoit and Smith. The Article to see whether the town will set off the South West part of the upper Parish into a separate town, was dismissed. Stephen Bean, Samuel Sibley, Peter Folsom, John Lougee, Samuel Brown, are first named on the records of this year.