History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
March 13th, (1804) the town met for annual business. On a petition of Benjamin Weeks, Esq., and others, to have the town build a bridge over Miles' Brook, it was voted refer the subject to the Selectmen. The same disposal was made of a petition of Benjamin James and others, relative to a bridge over the Winnipissiogee at Burleigh's Mills. The article to see whether the town will vote to request the Rev. Isaac Smith to perform but one service on each Sabbath during the winter months, was dismissed without action. The Selectmen were instructed to procure a plan of the town, containing the outlines of the Roads, Ponds, Mountains, &c. for the purpose of aiding to make a map of the State, agreeable to an act of the Legislature of the State, passed Dec. 30th, 1803. This plan was drawn by Samuel Shepard, Esq. The Map of the State was made by Phillip Carrigain, Esq.