History of Gilmanton
Written by: Daniel Lancaster
 Published in 1845 
March 14th, 1815, the following rules were adopted in respect to the poor of the town, viz.: " It shall be the duty of the Selectmen or Overseers of the Poor, to put up at auction the present year that part of the town paupers who bring themselves or their families to want by intemperance or other vices, and whereas many persons misspend their time and property at the grog-shop or tavern, and thereby become poor and indigent, in consequence of which the number of the town's poor have been and may continue to be greatly increased; therefore to remedy this evil as far as may be, it shall be the duty of the Selectmen to refuse license to such taverns and retailers as permit persons to drink to excess in their stores or houses, or sell without a license.

And the Selectmen or Overseers of the Poor may likewise put up at auction such other of the town paupers as in their discretion they may think proper; provided, that no person shall bid off the keeping of said paupers unless in the opinion of the Selectmen, he is able to provide comfortably for them during the year for which he is paid for keeping them by the town at the rate at which he bid them off."

This method of supporting the poor of the town prevailed until the year 1830, when the farm originally owned by Jotham Gilman, was purchased of Lewis W. Gilman, his grandson, and has ever since bee the home of the poor of Gilmanton.