Belmont Historical Society 
Village District Walking Tour
 Historic Village District Map Belmont, NH

1. Town Hall  was constructed  around 1895 by Edwin H. Bryant. The  building was used for stores  on  the ground floor an  as a hall or opera  house on the second  floor. 
Past Site  / Present Site

2. The  Library was  constructed in 1927 as a  gift to the town by George & Walter Duffy principal owners of  the Belmont Hosiery Co.  The  library was  officially dedicated on February 8, 1928.
Past Site / Present Site

3.  A Watering  Trough was  originally located  near  the corner of  Mill &  Main Streets near  the old  "Hose House"',  it  was relocated  further  up Main  Street  when the library  was constructed  and moved to  the present  site to the right of the  library  in  1988.
Past Site​ /  Present Site

4. The  Bandstand was  constructed  in  the  1908's  from funds  gathered by  subscription.  It  originally  stood  closer to the library.
Past Site  / Present Site

5.  The  Mill  was  originally  constructed  as  a  cotton  mill  in  1833,  it  was  the  Town's  primary  economic entity  for a century  and   a  half. It was  originally a  cotton and woolen weaving  mill then  converted  to  knitting in  the  1860's.  In 1998  when  the  structure  was on the verge of being  torn down  it  was  saved  by  funds through a Community Development  Block Grant,  and citizen volunteer  efforts.
Past Site / Present Site

6.  Mill Houses were constructed  by  the  Mill  Company when  owned  by  Amos A. Lawrence.  These  rows  of houses  were  for  the  use  of  the  mill  workers  to  rent  as housing.
Past Site​ /  Present Site

7. South Road School was originally a country schoolhouse located to the west of the South Road Cemetery.  The school was moved to its present location in 1888 due to the consolidation of outlying schools with the village schools. It was later used for Catholic church Services  & eventually converted to a dwelling.
Past SitePresent Site

8. The  Badger  House  was  probably  constructed  as  part  of  the Joseph Badger Jr.  homestead  on  Gilmanton Road.   It  is  said  to have moved  aside  when  Governor  William  Badger  built  the main  house  in  1818.  It  was  placed  on  this  site  in  1846  & later converted to  a  two family  dwelling.
Past Site / School Street Site​ / Present Site

9.  The  Gale  School  was  build  in  1894  with  funds  donated  by Napoleon B. Gale.  It  served  as  the  village  school  until  the 1950's  when  the  Memorial  School  was  built  and then  used  for educational support services  until the  mid  1980's.
Past Site​ / Present Site

10.  Dearborn Homestead. This home dates from the 1800’s. Owned in 1835 by the first known Doctor in the Upper Parish of Gilmanton (now Belmont). Dr. Joseph and Sally Gould moved here in 1830, and left the area by 1850. The property was later owned by Brock and Etta Belle Dearborn. Etta became librarian and held the position for 20 years. In 1951, Harold and Isabella Reed purchased the property. Harold was the Road Agent for 26 years from 1957 to 1983.
Past Site  / Present Site

11. Advent Christian Church.Organized in 1899 as the Advent Christian Church. Constructed in 1900, and dedicated the same year. Prior to the construction members met in Hall’s store for a short period of time. In 1904, Reverend David Jack was called to the church, and on May 20, 1951, the name of the church was changed to Belmont Full Gospel Assembly. Today this building is owned by the Town of Belmont, and is called the Corner Meeting House. Currently its used for town purposes and community organizations as a meeting spot. 
Past Site  / Present Site

12.  Fuller House  was one  of  the  earlier  dwellings  in  the  village  probably dating  from  the  1830's.
Past SitePresent Site

13.  The  Hose  House  was moved   from  the  present  location  of the library  in 1927.  The ground  floor housed  the  "hose house"  ( a hand pump  which  was dragged  by  firemen  to  a  fire.)  The upper floor housed  a  combination  of  library  & selectmen's office.   The building was eventually  torn down in 2002,  and  is  now a municipal parking lot.
Past Site​ / Fuller Street Location​   Present Site

14.  The  Canal  is  very  likely  the  remains  of  the  canal  which supplied water  power  to  the  cotton mill.  At  the  present  village store  was located a  small  pond  which  held  back  the  water  of the brook  as well  as  water  directed  from  the  mill  dam.  The water flowed across  the  street  to  the  mill  where  it  powered a large over shot  wheel located  on  the river  bank.
Past SitePresent Site

15.  Typical  Original  Village  Houses  of  the  1830's.
Past Site /  Present Site

16.  St. Joseph's  Church  this  site  has  had  many  uses  over  the years. The  first  village  store  was  constructed  near  the  corner  in  the  1820's.  The site  was  later  occupied  by a  building constructed in 1874 which housed  a  store  &   post  office  on  the ground floor, apartments  on the  second  floor  &  a  hall  on  the top floor.  Near  where  the  present  church  stands  was  located the  church  usually  referred  to  as  the  South Church,  built  in 1840  &   later replaced  by a  newer  structure  in  1868  after  the original  burned.  The  first St. Joseph's Church  was  constructed  in  1907. 
Past Site   Present Site

17.  Veterans Monument  is a monument  honoring  Belmont War Veterans and  was  presented  to  the  town  by  Moses Sargent  in 1919.  The  site  was  earlier  occupied  by a  platform  used  as a band stand.
Past Site​ /  Present Site

18. The Site of the Joseph Fellows House was first occupied here in the 1790's.  Joseph Fellows was considered to be the founder of Belmont Village and is  said to have constructed a simple dwelling on the site. In 1859 the present structure was constructed by Ira Mooney for the use as the village hotel. Directly to the right was located the second village store & post office. The upper floor contained a hall at which the first Belmont (Upper Gilmanton) town meeting was held. this structure burned in the 1890's.
Past Site / Present Site

19. Fellows Dam was the first dam constructed on this site in the 1790's & used for the village grist mill which was owned and operated by Joseph Fellows. In 1825, William Badger acquired the site and continued to operate the grist mill for the village & surrounding areas. During the 1830's when the village sawmill (20) was removed to make way for the dam of the cotton mill, a  sawmill was constructed on the west bank of the river opposite the  grist mill.
Past Site​   Present Site

20. Baptist Church.Organized in 1810, and first known as "The Third Monthly Meeting". A meeting house was erected in 1811, possibly of brick, but was removed in 1852 when the structure above was built. In 1860, the parsonage was constructed and by 1889 the church had been raised to accommodate a vestry and the installation of new memorial windows. The postcard above shows the Baptist Church stables to the left of the building. By 1907 the Baptist Church added the organ loft, and in 1917 a pipe organ installed as a gift from Moses Sargent. John M. Sargent, the son of the donor organ donated the chimes in 1946. The first minister was Elder Peter Clark 1810 to 1841. Since the church has had approximately 25 pastors, the longest being a tenure of 42 years. This being Reverend Frederick W. Fitzpatrick. This building burned in December 19, 1975, and was rebuilt in 1976.
Past Site  / Present Site

21. Joseph Fellows & 21a.Thomas Fellows Houses: The first house over the bridge was probably constructed by Joseph Fellows Sr. as it is listed in the inventory of his estate. It passed on to his son Joseph Jr. who occupied the site until it was sold to Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Co. prior to the construction of the cotton mill in 1833. The second two story house was constructed by Thomas Fellows around 1824 & sold to Samuel Cate in 1832 who operated the village tavern (Cate's Tavern see inside 2017 photo's) here in the 1830's. Following Cate's death it was operated by his widow &  later her second husband John S. Hill.
Joseph  FellowsPast SitePresent Site
Thomas FellowsPast Site /  Present Site

22. Village Blacksmith Shop: In 1819 Joseph Fellows Jr. deeded this site to William Moody who built a blacksmith shop equipped with a trip hammer which was used to flatten iron.
Past Site   / Present Site

23. Historic Mill Pond Site: Joseph Fellows built his sawmill here in the 1790's & later Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Co. built the mill pond so the water could be directed through a canal across Main St. During the 1890's the dam was removed & a penstock was constructed from the Fellows Dam to the mill. The remains of the steel penstock which replaced the original wooden one are still visible.
Past Site​ / Present Site