George H. Brown, M.D., of Gilmanton, where he is a popular and successful physician, is a native of Haverhill, Mass., born April 3, 1853. He is a son of Horace and Valeria (Clarke) Brown, and a grandson of Ebenezer Brown. The latter, who was a resident of Sanbornton, N.H., and carried on farming on a large scale, served as a Major in the War of 1812, was prominent in the State militia, represented Sanbornton in the New Hampshire legislature, and served acceptably in some town offices. He married Susan Taylor, who belonged to an old family of Sanbornton, and who bore him three children --- Jonathan C., Theodocia, and Horace. Theodocia first married Eben Taylor, a merchant, by who she had two children. ---Kate and Eveana. Eveana is now the widow of John P. Piper, and lives in New Hampton, N.H. For her second husband Theodocia married Charles Cawley, a large farmer of Sanbornton, by who she has had no children. Horace Brown, the third child of his parent, after attending the schools of Sanborton and New Hampton, went into mercantile business on his own account. Subsequently he kept the American House in Haverhill, Mass., for many years. From Haverhill he went to Boston, and there continued in the hotel business for some time longer. then he returned to the homestead in Sanbornton, and engaged in farming. His wife, Valeria M., was a daughter of Archibald S. Clarke, a merchant of Sanborton. they had two children ---- Ella A. and George H. Ella married Jeremiah L. Fogg, who is engaged in the meat business in Manchester, N.H.
George H. Brown was, like his sister, a student of Tilton Seminary. after leaving school he engaged in the meat business in Belmont. Later he drove a stage between Gilmanton and Tilton for two years, and then conducted a grocery store for an equal length of time. Influenced by his association with Dr. Wight, of Gilmanton, whose friendship he had acquired, he gave up trade, and turned his attention to the study of medicine. After spending four years under Dr. Wight's tuition, he took a three years' course of medical lectures at Vermont University in Burlington, and there received his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1882. There he entered upon his profession in association with Dr. Wight, and quickly made his way in the esteem of the public. Upon the latter's death Dr. Brown assumed entire charge of the practice, which covers a circuit of some six miles around the village of Gilmanton. Much interested in horses, the Doctor acquired possession of one which he recently sold for fifteen hundred dollars. He takes quite an active part in town affairs. He served as Town Clerk for three years, and was legislative Representative for two terms.
On December 31, 1889, Dr. Brown married Miss Henrietta Orange, of Gilmanton. Her father, Henry S. Orange, a retired merchant of Gilmanton, had an extensive business in Lowell, Mass., for many years, and was a member of the city government. Dr. and Mrs. Brown have one child, George Clinton, now two years old.