Henry Quimby Dalton, senior member of the firm Dalton & Bennett, proprietors of Lakside House, Tilton, was born in Northfield, N.H., December 20, 1829, son of Absalom and Harriet B. (Aldrich) Dalton. His grandfather, Samuel Dalton, born in Londonderry, N.H., July 29, 1757, was a son of John Dalton, whose father came from the north of Ireland. Samuel Dalton enlisted in the Continental army for the short term when eight years old, and afterward re-enlisted for four years. In 1793 he settled up a farm in Northfield, and died in upper Gilmanton (presently Belmont), January 1, 1837. He married for his first wife Polly Myrick, who was born in Hampstead, N.H., March 16, 1778, and died July 18, 1820. His second marriage was contracted with Mrs. Rachel (Gile) Wadleigh.
Absalon Dalton, the father of Henry Q., was born in Northfield, July 31, 1801. When a younger man, he taught school in Stewartstown, N.H. Later, in Massachusetts, he learned the stone cutter's trade and followed it for some years in some of the largest quarries of New England. Afterward for thirty years he followed agriculture in the Northfield and Sanborton. Upon the death of his wife he took up his residence with his son, Henry Q. His death occurred in October, 1888, at the age of eighty-seven years. In politics he was a Democrat. His wife, Harriet B., who was a daughter of Caleb Aldrich of Northfield, became the mother of seven children, five of whom reached maturity. Of these there are living: Henry Q., the subject of this sketch; and Urana M., the wife of Eben B. Calef. The others were Ransom S., Mary A., and George W. Mr. and Mrs. Absalom Dalton were members of the free Baptist Church.
Henry Quimby Dalton was educated in the district schools. When ten years old, his father's house, including all the furniture with the exception of a chair and a bed, was sold to satisfy a note which the elder Dalton had endorsed. In consequence young Henry then went to work upon a farm in Hooksett, N.H. Thirteen months later, he left Hooksett for Belmont, where he worked upon different farms. When fifteen years of age, he began to learn the stone cutter's trade with his father at Sanbonton; and he has since followed it at intervals. When twenty-one years old, he purchased the Jerry Gilman farm. Later he sold that estate; and in 1866, he purchased his present property, which now contains about two hundred acres. He cultivates fifty acres, keeps thirty head of cattle, seven or eight horses, and employs several assistants. The greater part of his farm products are used at the Lakeside House. He also owns considerable real estate in Laconia. In 1869 he began keeping summer boarders. As the business increased, he found it necessary to enlarge his house. The Lakeside, which occupies a sightly location on the shore of Lake Winnisquam, and has ample accommodations for one hundred guests, is the largest summer resort in Tilton. From May to September it is filled with patrons, some of whom come from Florida and San Francisco. In politics Mr. Dalton is a Democrat. He has served the town well and faithfully in various capacities of Selectman, Tax Collector, Road Agent, Supervisor of Church List, and Appraiser of the Town. He has acted as a Justice of the Peace for fifteen years.
On December 11, 1851, Mr. Dalton was joined in marriage with Mrs. Sarah S. (Gilman) Weston, daughter of Moses Gilman, of Sanbornton. By her first marriage Mrs. Dalton had one son ---- Amos G. Weston, M.D., born October 29, 1846. He studied medicine in Philadelphia, Pittsburg, and Cincinnati, practiced in Yellow Springs, Ohio, until his health failed, and died of consumption in Forest City, Minn., February 16, 1867. In January, 1865, he was married in Yellow Springs to Hattie D. Chamberlain; and he left one son ---- Willie Herman, who is now a farmer in Ashland, Neb. Willie Herman Weston married Ella Vance, and has three children living. By her present husband Mrs. Dalton has one daughter ---- Mary Hattie, now the wife of Marcellus W. Bennett and the mother of five children ---- Harry Halford, Marshal Frank, Jean L., Leeland Wilson, and Elwood Vance.
Harry Halford Bennett, born November 22, 1873, has always resided with his grandparents, and is now the junior partner in the firm of Dalton & Bennett. He married Annie S., daughter of Frank Leavitt, of Laconia. Mr. Dalton, Sr., is connected with the grange in Tilton, and is a member of the People's Christian Church of Laconia, having been an organizer of both societies.